Monday, October 18, 2010

I've found a completely round egg!


By Luke Salkeld

After eight years preparing full English breakfasts, chef James Church knows an all-round good egg when he sees one. Which is why he stopped himself consigning this remarkable specimen to the frying pan. Mr Church, 27, spotted the spherical oddity among a box full of otherwise regularly-shaped free-range eggs delivered to the Hotel Bristol in Newquay, Cornwall by a local supplier. ‘I’ve probably cracked at least 100,000 eggs in my time as a chef but I’ve never seen one like this,’ he said. ‘I stood for a few moments in awe. I called everyone in the kitchen over and they stood around it too, because they had never seen anything like it either.’ He says he will keep it in his fridge indefinitely, despite the risk of it going bad and exploding egg cartoon. ‘I’ve put it in a protective case so I don’t get it mixed up with any others by mistake. ‘I managed to save it from the frying pan so I’m definitely going to keep it.’ John Retson, chairman of the British Free Range Egg Producers’ Association, said he was amazed by the round egg. The 58-year-old, who has 55,000 birds at his farm in Perthshire said: ‘I have never seen a completely round egg in my life.’

Asked what might have caused the phenomenon, he added: ‘It might be that when the egg was forming it got held up in the Fallopian tubes. ‘This can be caused by stress or a variety of other reasons. But if it gets held up it becomes misshapen.’ So was it the chicken or the round egg that came first?

No comments:

Post a Comment